New Evaluator Testing - February 4th, 2016
This is a 3 part application and testing process
1. Complete the 2016 New Evaluator Application Form and submit it with your application fee of $175.00 by January 8th, 2016
We cannot accept late applications. You must pay in advance; we can accept payment by cash, check or credit card by fax, mail or in person. Contact the TISH program for specifics if you choose to fax your application and pay by credit card. No application fees will be taken the day of the test.
Application Deadline: Friday, January 8th 4:30 pm.
**USMail – postmark date; email and/or fax “received” date
Note that part of the application requires proof of passing a 3rd party, national, home inspector’s exam such as the NAHI. Saint Paul does not accept licenses from other jurisdictions in lieu of passing the 3rd party exam. Acceptable exams are ones where the individual taking the test has his/her identity verified by the test administrator.
2. Take/Pass the written test on February 4th, 2016 at 9am
You must be available on this date and time in order to take the written test and to be eligible to be licensed. There will be 3 hours allocated for finishing the written test. Most applicants finish and leave within the one to one and a half hours. The test location will be mailed to you when your application is accepted. You may bring and use a calculator. This is a closed-book exam.
The test is approximately 100 to 150 questions in the True/False, multiple choice, and short answer.
You must receive a score of 75% or better to pass this test.
3. IF you pass the written test in February or March of 2016, (75%) then you will be admitted to the second part of the test which a Practical Exam – Test House. The test house will be done in February or March of 2016. Details will be given to those persons eligible for this portion of the testing. It will be open-guidelines, but please be aware that the time allotted for this test is very limited.
You will evaluate a “test house” as if you are evaluating it for a client in the City of Saint Paul.
You must pass both the written and the test house portions of the examination process to be eligible to receive your Truth-in-Sale of Housing Evaluator license. Once you are eligible, you must meet the other licensing requirements, provide proof of insurance, and pay the $100.00 (annual) license fee. See Chapter 189 of the Saint Paul Legislative Code for Evaluator requirements. This license fee is not pro-rated for partial year licensing.
Pay particular attention to the application requirements and the application deadline.
REMEMBER: You must have a third party, national (such as those administered by, or accessed through, an organization such as ASHI, or NAHI), housing inspector certification in order to apply for the testing process and may not be a City of St. Paul employee.
This is a pre-requisite for testing. You must meet this requirement before you can be admitted to the written test. You must be able to show certification no later than the date of the written exam; no copy, no admittance, no refund. If you have a copy, submit it with this application.
SUBMIT your application and proof of passing a third party exam via:
- FAX (with credit card payment) to 651-266-9124
- USMail to: TISH Evaluator Exam - DSI, 375 Jackson St, #220, St Paul, MN 55101
- In person at 375 Jackson St. NO email applications accepted.