Police Officer Information
This information was last updated on December 20, 2011.
The Saint Paul Police Department is respected for being a leader in Minnesota law enforcement. If you are interested in joining the men and women of the SPPD and serving a diverse community, read the following information:
Police Officer Requirements:
- You must be at least 21 years old.
- You must be a United States citizen.
- You must have a valid Minnesota Drivers License (Class D), or equivalent out-of-state license with no suspensions or revocations on your record within the last two years, prior to appointment (parking-related offenses may be excluded).
- You must not have any criminal convictions of gross misdemeanor or the equivalent level.
- You must not have any felony convictions; including pardons and/or expungements (according to Minnesota Statute 364.09).
- You must not have any physical/domestic assault or eluding the police convictions.
- You must be in good physical condition.
- You must successfully complete a background investigation, psychological examination and a medical examination.
- You must be Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) licensed or eligible to be licensed as a peace officer in the State of Minnesota, by the date of conditional offer for employment.
- If you have a college degree other than Law Enforcement, you must obtain a Law Enforcement Certificate from any eligible college/university in the State of Minnesota.
Preplacement Medical Guidelines
If you are a military veteran and are not POST certified:
- You must have served for at least five years of active service, in a Military Police capacity.
- You must apply for reciprocity with the Minnesota POST Board before you can be considered for employment.
How do you become POST eligible?
Contact the Minnesota State POST Board:
651-643-3060 or https://dps.mn.gov/entity/post
Police Officer Transfers (currently accepting applications)
Police Officer Salary and Benefits
Minimum starting salary (bi-weekly): $1,915.67; Maximum starting salary (bi-weekly): $2,464.80
1-5 years: 15 days
5-9 years: 20 days
10-14 years: 23 days
15-19 years: 25 days
20+ years: 27 days
Holidays: Ten days per year
For Additional Information, visit:
The Saint Paul Police Department
Complete Police Officer Interest Form to be notified of future SPPD Police Officer hiring process.
An Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer