DSI Code Enforcement
375 Jackson Street
Ph: (651) 266-8989
7:30 am - 4:30 pm
(Monday - Friday)
Closed Weekends & Holidays
NOTE: As of January 1, 2013, the Vacant Building Registration Fee for all new and renewal registrations will increase to $1,440.
Registered Vacant Buildings
The City of Saint Paul has ordinances regulating vacant and unoccupied structures. Property owners must register these buildings with the Department of Safety and Inspections if the building is unoccupied and:
- Unsecured, or
- Secured by other than normal means, or
- A dangerous structure, or
- Condemned, or
- Has multiple housing or Building Code violations, or
- Is condemned and illegally occupied, or
- Is unoccupied for a period of time longer than one year during which time the Enforcement Officer has issued an order to correct nuisance conditions.
Registration Requirements - What property owners must do to comply with the law
- Submit a Vacant Building Registration Form within 30 days, describing plans for rehabilitating and reoccupying or demolishing the building.
- Disclose all pertinent ownership information.
- Disclose all pertinent lienholders.
- Disclose any current Truth-in-Sale of Housing Disclosure Reports.
- Pay the annual Vacant Building Registration Fee within 30 days of receiving the Registration (or Registration Renewal) letter.
- Provide unencumbered access to all portions of the premises of the buildings to permit the Enforcement Officer to make a complete inspection.
NOTE: If the building is vacant due to a fire, the owners have 90 days to pay the Vacant Building fee, provided they submit the Vacant Building Registration Form within 30 days informing us of their plans for the building.