Subscribe to receive email updates about reducing, recycling and composting
Recycling is collected weekly in Saint Paul, Monday–Friday. The day on which your recycling is collected depends on where you live. Click here to determine your recycling collection day. Recycling days may differ on holidays.
All materials should be set out at the curb no later than 7 a.m. on your collection day. If you miss your collection day or your materials were not picked up, you can contact Eureka Recycling @ 651-222-SORT (7678) to report a missed collection, hold your materials and set out the next week or drop off your materials at City of Saint Paul's Recycling Drop-Off Center.
If you live in an 12+ unit apartment, visit the residential-apartment recycling page for more information.
Get a Blue Recycling Bin
The City provides up to two free blue bins to Saint Paul residents for curbside recycling. Contact your district council to get a new or replacement bin. Wheel kits for blue bins are also available.
If you have extra materials that don’t fit in your bins, you may set those materials out in paper bags or cardboard boxes. If you’d like to keep your cardboard box, clearly mark it with the word “SAVE”. You may also provide your own recycling bins but it should be similar in size to those provided by the City (14-18 gallon).
Please note: The only items acceptable in plastic bags are clothes and linen and each plastic bag of recyclable clothes and linen should be clearly marked as such.
Residents can put all recyclable materials into one bin – separating is no longer required!
The following is a list of acceptable materials for Saint Paul’s recycling program:
- Plastic bottles with a 1, 2, 4, 5 or 7 label (rinse clean, flatten and put caps back on) – New in 2014!
- Yogurt and margarine tubs – New in 2014!
- Transparent “to-go” containers – New in 2014!
- Transparent deli containers – New in 2014!
- Produce containers – New in 2014!
- Pizza boxes (no heavily caked cheese or grease; remove all contents)
- Corrugated cardboard (flatten to 3ft x 3 ft or smaller)
- Boxboard (crackers, cereal, pasta, toothpaste, etc...soda and beer boxes accepted as well)
- Magazines, mail, phonebooks and office paper (shredded paper should be put in a paper bag)
- Newspaper (inserts are acceptable)
- Envelopes (envelopes with windows or metal clasps are okay)
- Steel and aluminum cans, foils and trays (rinse clean, labels are okay)
- Glass bottles and jars (rinse clean, remove caps and lids)
- Milk cartons and juice boxes (including soy milk, soup and broth cartons; remove caps, rinse, clean and flatten)
Do NOT Recycle:
- Aerosol cans
- Scrap metal
- Window glass
- Glass dishes or glasses
- Broken glass
- Pyrex glass
- Light blubs
- Ceramic dishes
- Plastic bags
- Take-out containers that contain a 3 or 6 label
- Bottles used to dispose of needles (label and throw in trash)
Recycling Clothes and Linen (accepted in the curbside collection program and at the recycling drop off center)
The following items may also be recycled:
- Linens (towels, sheets, blankets, curtains, tablecloths)
- Clothes and miscellaneous accessories (examples: belts, coats, hats, gloves, shoes, and boots)
- Clean fabric scraps and rags
- No wet or dirty clothes
Instructions for Recycling Clothes and Linen:
- Place items in a sturdy plastic bag. (Must be 30-gallon size or smaller)
- Fasten the bag tightly so items will not get wet or fall out
- Clearly mark your bag "CLOTHES & LINENS" so the drivers can see the bag is for recycling, not garbage.
- Put your bag at the curb by 7 a.m. with your other recycling on any recycling pickup day.
- Do not put any other recycling in plastic bags.
Do NOT Recycle the following Household Goods:
- Books, tapes or CDs
- Hardware or tools
- Games or toys
- Kitchen goods
- Chemicals or hazardous waste
- Cosmetics, creams or nail polish
The City of Saint Paul partners with Eureka Recycling to provide recycling services. Contact Eureka to learn more at (651) 222-7678 or
Check out Ramsey County’s A-Z Disposal Guide to learn about additional reuse options for these items.