The Right Track
Help Saint Paul students get on the Right Track to a successful career.
As many studies have shown, there is a growing skills gap in Minnesota. With highly-skilled baby boomers leaving the workforce en masse over the next decade, we are faced with a next generation of workers that is less-prepared (and far more diverse) than ever before.
The City of Saint Paul and Genesys Works invite you – the business community – to help our young people develop the skills needed to be successful in the 21st century workplace. Our programs employ more than 600 youth per year, but we want to do more. Our goal is to place 20-30 high school students in corporate jobs this summer through the Right Track program. We need partners who are ready to help us do that.
Read this success story about Laquayila Wells, a senior at Como Park High school.
For $1,200 – the cost of employing one Right Track intern for the summer – your company makes a valuable investment in the future of a young person and in the future of the community’s workforce.
Listed below are some possible contributions a Right Track intern could make at your organization:
| Archiving and filing
|| Data management
|| Mailing correspondence
| Event planning
|| A/V Setup
|| Shipping, Break/fix
| Project management support
|| Database cleaning
| Compliance management
| Other entry-level office task
HOW IT WORKS
- The City of Saint Paul and Genesys Works solicit applications from students entering 11th or 12th grade who have successfully completed at least one work experience with us.
- Employers identify paid summer internship opportunities.
- We match youth with these positions based on their interests and skill.
- Employers interview the youth applicant and make the final hiring decision.
- We provide ongoing training and support to the youth and employer from before the internship begins in June until it ends in August.
- Your business – in 2012, 97% of City of Saint Paul Youth Job Corps supervisors reported that the program benefited their worksite, and 89% of supervisors indicated that the experience improved their management skills.
- Saint Paul youth – a meaningful summer job provides an invaluable experience and inspires the pursuit of a career and a higher education.
- Our community – employing Saint Paul youth is a valuable investment in the future of Saint Paul.
- Companies should provide employment for 6-10 weeks at 15-40 hours per week. The recommended standard is 8 weeks, 20 hours per week.
- Positions must pay at least $7.25 per hour. An 8-week, 20-hour per week internship at $7.50/hr costs $1,200 in wages for the summer.
- Job sites must be located in Saint Paul. Youth will be provided with Metro Transit passes to get to and from work.
- Employment must occur between June 17 and August 23.
If you are interested in helping Saint Paul students get on the Right Track to a successful career, please complete and submit an interest form.
If would like more information about the new Right Track program, please contact Catherine Penkert at 651-266-6422.
The Right Track program is sponsored by the City of Saint Paul and Genesys Works.