With 500 hanging baskets, 220,000 square feet of gardens and more than 150 planters to plant and maintain, Saint Paul Parks and Recreation’s gardening team simply can’t do it alone. Greenhouse assistants are volunteer individuals who work closely with gardening staff to help grow and care for plants at the Harriet Island greenhouse facility. Plants and flowers used in Saint Paul’s parks and streetscapes are more sustainable when grown on site in the greenhouse. This saves valuable resources as shipping and transport modes are reduced. Greenhouse volunteers greatly increase our capacity to grow more of our own plants and become more sustainable.
- Grow plants from seeds and plugs for gardens throughout Saint Paul
- Assemble hanging flower baskets for Blooming Saint Paul program
- Transplant and propagate plants and flowers
- Assist in maintaining displays outside of greenhouse
- Maintain greenhouse materials such as compost, soil and pots
- Potting, watering and seeding flats
Greenhouse volunteers directly enhance the beauty and vibrancy of Saint Paul’s public spaces. They help grow the lush and colorful landscape elements that create a more attractive, safe and welcoming Saint Paul. Your volunteer efforts help generate pride in our parks and demonstrate a commitment to your community.
Benefits to the Volunteer
- Gratifying volunteer work - see and enjoy the impact of your volunteer efforts
- Learn about and gain skills in horticulture
- Flexible scheduling – set your own volunteer schedule and work independently
- Enrich, beautify and take pride in your local community
- Volunteer outdoors, get fresh air and exercise
- Some experience in gardening with interest in learning horticulture
- Ability to work independently without supervision
- Physically able to do manual work of light to moderate intensity
- Background and/or experience in horticulture, agriculture, greenhouse, nursery
- Submit reports and log volunteer hours once per month during growing season
- Volunteer must be 18 years or older or have signed permission from guardian
- Ability to volunteer during regular daytime work hours M-F (details below)
Volunteers create their own schedule with the gardening staff in accordance with the recommendations below, and are required to track and log hours once per month or as needed.
- March through May (greenhouse season): minimum of 2-4 hours/week, any day M-F between 8:00 am to 3:00 pm.
- Summer and fall: other gardening volunteer opportunities outside the greenhouse may be available, if interested.
Greenhouse is located next to Harriet Island at 83 West Water Street, Saint Paul, MN 55107
To submit a volunteer inquiry, Click Here.