I would like to become a VISTA member
What does it mean to be an AmeriCorps VISTA member?
VISTA members commit to serving one full year at a school, nonprofit organization, or government agency to help eliminate poverty in their communities. Instead of working directly with clients, VISTAs are the "behind the scenes" folks who create programs, recruit volunteers, and develop community partnerships. For more information, visit the AmeriCorps
What does it mean to be an AmeriCorps VISTA with the Saint Paul VISTA Program?
Saint Paul VISTA Program members work to close the education opportunity gap and support the education goals of the City of Saint Paul. Specifically, the Saint Paul VISTA Program has the following purpose, to:
1. Improve the quality and depth of learning opportunities available to youth in Saint Paul, and
2. Increase access to high-quality learning opportunities for all Saint Paul children, especially at-risk and vulnerable youth.
VISTA members contribute to these goals by building capacity at their host organizations. Capacity building is undertaken through indirect service projects in non-profit agencies, schools, and government entities across Saint Paul. Throughout their year of service, VISTA members work to ensure that Saint Paul youth have access to high quality learning opportunities. Members focus on projects in three core program areas:
1. Enhancing formal and informal learning opportunities for Saint Paul students, including before, during and after school.
2. Informing and preparing students for post-secondary educational and professional opportunities.
3. Engaging parents, families and the community to support learning and youth success.
What are the benefits of becoming an AmeriCorps VISTA member?
Aside from having an incredibly rewarding year of experience serving your community, VISTA also provides the following benefits:
- AmeriCorps living allowance of $11,796 annually
- Choice of $5,550 Education Award or $1,500 post-service stipend
- $550 relocation allowance (for those relocating to serve)
- Healthcare benefits
- Childcare assistance (if eligible)
- Federal student loan forbearance or deferment
- One year of noncompetitive status for a federal government job
- Extensive training and valuable experience
- Access to the network of VISTA & VISTA alumni (170,000 strong)
What are the benefits of becoming a Saint Paul VISTA Program member?
The Saint Paul VISTA Program is hosted out of the Office of Mayor Christopher Coleman. Saint Paul VISTA members are placed in partner organizations
throughout the city, where they work to build capacity for educational programming and support the Mayor’s education agenda. In addition the benefits of AmeriCorps
VISTA the Saint Paul VISTA Program offers the following benefits:
- Bi-monthly meetings and trainings that focus on leadership, collaboration, and professional development
- Program commitment to education and youth in Saint Paul
- Professional development opportunities through the Mayor’s Office; learn from policy experts and meet with leaders in the fields of education and service
- One-on-one support from Saint Paul VISTA Program staff to help members through challenges and successes during their service year
- Well developed cohort model that offers a supportive program structure that is peer-driven, and leverages the work of VISTA members to achieve a common vision for transforming education
What are the requirements for becoming an AmeriCorps VISTA member?
To be a VISTA member, you must be at least 18 years of age and a U.S. citizen, national, or legal permanent resident alien of the U.S. Most VISTA positions also prefer at least some college experience, and you must be able to commit to a full year of service. VISTA members are not allowed to have another job during their year of service.
How do I apply for the Saint Paul VISTA Program?
To learn more about current VISTA positions, host organizations, and/or how to apply for a specific position, please see below and click "Apply!" Each site within the Saint Paul VISTA Program is responsible for the recruitment, application, and hiring process for their VISTA position.
The following is the VISTA Recruitment, Placement, and Orientation Timeline:
- NOW - June 5, 2013 -- VISTA member recruitment
- June 5, 2013* -- Final candidates selected and VISTA member pre-enrollment paperwork due to Saint Paul VISTA Program
- July 30-August 2, 2013* -- VISTA members attend CNCS Pre-Service Orientation (PSO)
- August 5-6, 2013* -- VISTA members attend Saint Paul VISTA Orientation
- August 7, 2013* -- VISTA members begin service at their sites
*CNCS recruitment and Pre-Service Orientation dates are subject to change, which can affect member pre-enrollment, Saint Paul VISTA Program Orientation dates and VISTA member first day on-site.
2013-2014 Saint Paul VISTA Program Site Information
ALL SAINT PAUL VISTA PROGRAM POSITIONS HAVE BEEN FILLED FOR THE 2013-2014 PROGRAM YEAR.
If you are interested in applying to be an AmeriCorps VISTA member, please check back with us in March when we open VISTA Program recruitment for 2014-2015.
Further information and resources on AmeriCorps
VISTA and the Saint Paul VISTA Program.
For additional questions or comments, please contact VISTA Program Manager Willy Tully