Project Labor Agreements
St. Paul City Council Resolution 09-584 adopted June 3, 2009 requires the City of St. Paul "to consider the use of a Project Labor Agreement (PLA) on all building construction, parks or public works projects involving a City contract with $250,000 or more in city money."
What is a Project Labor Agreement?
A Project Labor Agreement is a type of multi-employer, multi-craft, pre-hire collective bargaining agreement between organized labor and contractors that covers terms and conditions of employment for construction employees on a particular construction project.
What is the Procedure for Project Labor Agreements?
- A department planning a construction project with $250,000 or more in City/HRA money must bring the matter to the City Council for a decision regarding the use of a PLA before bidding documents are finalized or city approval of the project
- Prior to going to the City Council, the department must send a written “Notice and Request for Recommendation on the Use of a PLA” (Notice) to all parties having an interest in the project, including, but not limited to, those listed in Resolution 09-584. The Notice may be faxed, emailed, or mailed. Interested Parties have 10 days to respond.
- The department must prepare a resolution for the Council’s decision on the use of a PLA on the project and a staff report that includes the following:
- The requesting department’s recommendation regarding the use of a PLA and justifications for that recommendation.
- Statement that the Notice was sent
- Written recommendations and the stated justifications for the recommendations received from interested parties in response to the Notice
- Upon request by the Administration, a Councilperson or an interested party, the City Council will hold a public hearing as to the City’s need for and interest in a PLA with respect to a project, at which hearing interested parties may participate.
Who do I contact regarding Project Labor Agreements?
When considering whether to use a PLA, interested parties shall be given notice of the matter and allowed to respond.
For questions regarding a specific Project Labor Agreement, please contact the applicable City of St. Paul Project Manager for more information.