The Office of Mayor Chris Coleman offers unpaid, full or part-time internships to undergraduate or graduate students currently enrolled at an accredited college or university. Recent graduates will also be considered. Those selected will have the opportunity to work closely with local government appointees to explore the many facets that engage residents and make Saint Paul the Most Livable City in America. Applicants must be proficient in Microsoft Office programs. The ideal candidate will have strong written and oral communication skills and an ability to work in a fast-paced environment. They will also have good customer service experience and a dedication to public service. The City of Saint Paul is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Women, persons of color, members of the LGBT community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
• Supporting policy and outreach staff: attending meetings and events, conducting research, communicating with constituents and key community groups, conducting research, drafting letters and memos and writing reports.
• Supporting government relations staff: monitor bills and committees at the State Capitol, research and write reports on legislation, organize meetings and events.
• Supporting media staff: compiling news clips, conducting research, and writing press releases, briefing memos, talking points and correspondence.
• Have some administrative duties: answering phones, data entry and filing.
Mayor’s Office internships provide students with valuable work experience for professional careers. Interns have the opportunity to work with and assist various divisions of the Mayor’s Office, including administrative, policy, government relations, outreach, and press staff.
Hours and compensation:
All internships are unpaid. Part-time (15-20 hours per week) and full-time internships are available year-round (Sept-Dec, Jan-May, June-Aug).
In order to process your internship application, please submit the following materials listed below in one package.
• Cover Letter (indicating availability)
• Writing Sample (one page maximum)
Only complete application packages will be accepted for consideration.
Send cover letter indicating availability and areas of interest, resume, writing sample and references to Chai Lee
) at 651.266.8512,
Office of Mayor Chris Coleman
Attn: Internship Coordinator Chai Lee
390 City Hall
15 W. Kellogg Blvd.
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55102
The application deadline for the fall 2014 internship season has been extended until August 29, 2014