Terry Haltiner, HR Consultant
This division is responsible for:
- Assisting internal and external customers
- Overseeing total quality improvements that affect citizens and department members
- Labor relations
- Promotional testing
- Selection of firefighters
- Creating a diverse workforce that resembles the community we serve
- Positive working relationships
- Positive relations with the public
- Understanding of the various backgrounds of our members
Services provided to department members include :
- Stress management / prevention programs
- Fitness / wellness programs
- Diversity awareness training
How We Create a Better Work Environment
- We recognize the large pool of young people in Saint Paul who have the potential for successful careers as firefighters, paramedics, and inspectors. We are making inroads with Saint Paul Schools, encouraging students to consider these careers and to plan their studies accordingly. The City's Affirmative Action and Human Resources Department assists us in our recruitment and selection efforts.
- We emphasize behavioral skills which promote cooperation in the workplace by acting as liaisons to employees who may need assistance in seeking solutions to problems they are experiencing within the workplace or off the job.
- We work closely with the City's Labor Relations Division to interpret and implement 22 different labor contracts from which our employees are represented. Coordination of grievances, discipline actions, and labor negotiations are handled here.