What is Rec Check?
Rec Check is a free after-school program for youth, grades 1-6, provided at the recreation centers listed below. Youth check in with Rec Check Staff when arriving at the center and check out when leaving. Parents can request to be notified when their child does not check in at the center. Rec Check is for youth who live in Saint Paul or go to school in Saint Paul.
When Is It Held?
The program is held Monday - Friday, 3 - 6 p.m. on days when the Saint Paul Public Schools are in session, including early-release days. Rec Check runs September 12, 2011 through June 8, 2012. Start times may vary due to the different school release times.
Children participate in a variety of structured, supervised activities including homework help, arts and crafts, reading and special events. To promote health and fitness, the staff will engage the youth daily in physical activities such as gym games, outdoor play or walking. A daily snack is also provided.
Do I Need to Register My Child?
Yes. All sites have limited enrollment. Registration is taken on a first-come, first-served basis. Registration forms need to be completed at a site before a child may attend. Registration cannot be completed online. Rec Check is open for youth who live in Saint Paul or attend school in Saint Paul.
After School Transportation
A change in Minnesota law now allows the Saint Paul Public School to transport your child to Saint Paul Parks & Recreation's Rec Check Program or S'more Fun Program.
- The recreation center attended must be within the attendance area or transportation area of the school attended and must be more than one mile walking distance from school.
- An application for childcare transportation must be completed if the student is attending a recreation center program that is more than one mile from the school but student residence is less than one mile from school.
- The child must attend the recreation center program each day school is in session. A child is not allowed to alternate between home and recreation center locations.
- Transportation to Saint Paul Parks & Recreation Program must be arranged through the school the child attends. The application form is available from the school office or the Transportation Department website.
- Transportation home from the Rec Check or S'more Fun Program is not provided.
Where is Rec Check?
Duluth & Case
El Rio Vista
Hancock (3 days/ week)
Martin Luther King